Low syn cheesy veg-stuffed picnic muffins
Perfect lunchbox or picnic savoury muffins, great as low syn snacks on Slimming World
These cheese dream muffins are simply perfect for a picnic. They hold and travel really well, and they don’t use up many syns either. Perfect for a family day out, or as easy snacks for adults and kids alike. Everyone will love these… they’ve passed the taste test with my partner, my best pal and my Mum (now that’s what I’d call the triple win right there).
I’m using in these muffins Pilgrims Choice mature extra light. It’s a fabulously flavoursome cheddar and I do recommend it for this recipe where you really want to maximise the cheese flavour. It’s scrumptious.
Each muffin is just 2.5 syns and uses a quarter of one of your healthy extra A choices a day. Makes 12 muffins. I wholly recommend eating four in a row guilt free, as I did. Just count the syns ;)
200g Self Raising Flour (32 syns)
Half tsp bicarbonate of soda
3 medium eggs
250mls semi skimmed milk (1 x healthy extra A choice)
1 large red pepper from a jar, diced (find a jar in the olives section of the supermarket, ensure you buy one in water not oil)
Two handfuls kale, diced
6 mushrooms, diced
80g Pilgrims Choice Extra Mature Lighter Cheese grated (2 x healthy extra A choices)
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat your oven to 170 degrees for a fan oven. Adjust if not a fan oven.
2. Dice and fry up your veg, and then strain through a sieve to remove some of the liquid. You want to wait until the mixture looks quite dry. Set to one side to cool.
3. Take a large bowl and mix the flour, salt, pepper and baking soda.
4. Separately, whisk the milk and eggs until mixed well together.
5. Add the egg-milk to the flour gradually and whisk in until it’s a smooth batter.
6. Add the veggies into the batter and mix well.
7. Add 80% or so of the grated Pilgrims Choice Extra Mature Lighter Cheese and stir through.
8. Spray a silicone muffin tray with Frylight and spoon the mixture evenly between them until each muffin slot are nearly full. Top a little grated cheese on the top of each muffin slot.
9. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown on top and then remove from the oven and leave to cool.
10. You can eat hot or cold, and they pack really well for lunches on the move etc.
Enjoy! If you liked my recipe or try it out, do let me know via Instagram @slimmingworldrecipes. I love to hear from people via DM, or via comments.
#AD - this recipe was part of a paid promotion with Pilgrims Choice. Nonetheless, it’s simply delicious!