Slimming world popcorn shrimp and sweet potato wedges
Just like everyone else, I loveeeeee the bad food. The deep fried stuff, the chips, the mayonnaise... If you're losing weight, or trying to, I feel ya. That's why I came up with this mega popcorn shrimp recipe and it's a firm favourite of followers to @slimmingworldrecipes on Instagram. It's also, quite unbelievably, syn free. Get in there, son, there is a god up there somewhere :)
Syn free, makes enough for two. Uses half a healthy extra B choice per serving, or you can call it 3 syns if you don't have a healthy extra to use.
300g king prawns, uncooked is preferable but not essential
Jerk or peri peri seasoning (make sure it's the flour-free ones from the herb aisle, not the maggi ones, for example)
1 egg, beaten
2 slices of wholemeal bread (HEB) blitzed into breadcrumbs
2 sweet potatoes, chopped into wedges around inch wide and half an inch thick.
1. Preheat your oven to 200 degrees (for a fan assisted oven, adjust as appropriate for other types of oven).
2. Take your prawns and coat them fully in the jerk or peri peri seasoning. I used peri peri but either works fine! Don't be shy on the amount, it needs a lot. Return to the fridge to marinate for 20-30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, prepare your wedges. Slice the sweet potatoes as detailed above. I prefer to leave the skins on, but if you prefer to peel then that's fine too.
4. Spray a baking tray with frylight and lay each chip down on one side. I find cooking straight from raw gets the best results, no need to parboil. Spray again with frylight before popping into the oven. You'll need to turn the chips after 20 minutes, and possibly respray with frylight. They'll cook for a total of 40 minutes.
5. When the chips have gone in, set to work right away on the prawns. Get them back out of the fridge and lay out your work station. You will need the prawns on one side, then a bowl with the beaten egg in, and a plate or dish with the breadcrumbs on.
6. You guessed it! Take each marinated prawn, dip in the egg and roll gently in the breadcrumbs. Pop onto a baking tray which has been sprayed lightly with frylight. Repeat until all the prawns are done and then cook in the oven for 15 minutes. Be aware of timing to make sure your chips are about 15 minutes from being done before you put the prawns in.
7. Serve immediately with a side salad, and some low fat mayo with a squeeze of lemon in if you wish (but remember to count the syns).
If you make this, I would absolutely love to see it on your blog or Instagram - just remember to tag me @slimmingworldrecipes or link back to www.rosieandtherecipes.com