Low fat tomato and bacon pasta!
This beauty is a staple at my house because the sauce can be frozen and then makes for a quick easy week day dinner. It’s also #synfree which is a real bonus! If you top with Parmesan it’s either a syn per tablespoon or you can use as your healthy extra A choice. It takes about 30 minutes to make the sauce from scratch, to either eat right away or freeze some/all of it.
1 pack of bacon, fat removed and chopped into small pieces
1 white onion, diced finely
2 cloves garlic, crushed or finely diced
1 standard supermarket packet of fresh baby tomatoes
1 500g passata with tomato and basil
1 tsp powdered vegetable stock or Bouillion
1.5tbsp Fresh parsley, chopped finely (I used the frozen fresh parsley from Waitrose, it’s brilliant!)
300g wholewheat pasta
Fresh basil, several pieces
Parmesan, grated 1 tbsp per person or your HEA choice 35g
1.Take a non stick saucepan with a lid. One with a lid is preferable as tomato sauce, whilst cooking, can get pretty messy!
2. Spray with frylight and put onto a medium heat.
3. Add the garlic and chopped onion and fry gently until soft.
4. Add the bacon and fry until cooked through.
5. Add the fresh tomatoes, black pepper, Bouillion, passata and chopped parsley and stir well. Put the lid back on and simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. If freezing, leave to cool before bagging and putting in the freezer. If eating immediately, simply cook your pasta and add the basil, Parmesan and side salad.