Beef stew with red wine, parsnips and carrots
Christmas beef stew with red wine, parsnips and carrots. 😍
The red wine and gravy granules are entirely optional, without them it’s completely syn free but I find the flavour much better with them in! Let me know how you get on if you try it I love hearing your comments. Rosie x
Makes enough for 4 portions.
Syns for the lot: 7
Syns per portion (with red wine and gravy granules): Just under 2.
1 standard supermarket or butchers packet diced beef, must be 5% fat or less to be syn free
Half a white onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed or diced
1 medium white potato, peeled and chopped up into half inch pieces
6 mushrooms, diced very finely
1 large parsnip, peeled and chopped into round slices about 0.5cm thick
2 large or 3 small carrots, peeled and chopped into round slices about 0.5cm thick
1 tbsp gravy granules (1 syn)
125ml red wine (6 syns)
1 pint beef stock
1 tbsp smoked paprika
1. Preheat your oven to 140 degrees.
2. Take your chopped onion and garlic and fry with Frylight in an ovenproof dish (something like a le creuset is ideal as it can be used on the hob and the oven, I have a cheaper version from Tesco’s which is brilliant)
3. When soft, add your diced beef and 1 tbsp of paprika and coat well. Add your potato and mushrooms too when the beef is browned off.
4. Add red wine, gravy granules and stock and bring to the boil before reducing to a simmer for about 5 minutes. Make sure all your ingredients are fully covered by liquid, if they aren’t, add more.
5. Slow cook in the same dish in the oven for about 1.5 hours or until beef is tender and it’s reduced down. When it is, add the sliced carrots and parsnips for a further 20-30 minutes until soft but slightly crunchy! If it looks too watery, remove the lid for 5-10 mins at the end of cooking.
Enjoy and remember to tag me @slimmingworldrecipes on Instagram if you make it. 😘