Freezable pasta bake
Over the past weeks I’ve been trying to freeze as much food as possible so I can be better equipped to have healthy, inexpensive meals ready for when I get home. My boyfriend works long hours and with me commuting from London, otherwise it can mean eating late and/or eating badly!
I’ve noticed that Slimming World does a frozen pasta dish and it got me thinking... could this work? Good news, it does! Here’s how.
You will need containers that at freezable but also oven friendly. I recommend the metal ones with the paper lids - you can find these disposable ones in most supermarkets near the clingfilm etc. If not these, worth using your own Pyrex dishes, just check they are freezer and oven proof before diving in.
This recipe makes enough for 4 individual portions and is syn free when using the cheese as your healthy extra. If not, it’s 6 syns per portion.
500g passata with basil
Fresh baby tomatoes, whole
4 rashers bacon (fat removed)
Dried pasta 400g
1 white onion, diced
1 large clove of garlic, crushed
140g grated cheddar (4 x hea choice)
1. Take your onion and garlic and fry gently in a non stick saucepan. Add your bacon and cook through.
2. Add your fresh whole baby tomatoes, black pepper and a few chilli flakes, then add your passata. Pop the lid on and simmer for about 20 minutes. You can add any other flavours or spices as you wish.
3. Meanwhile preheat your oven to 180 and prepare your containers, marking them as pasta bakes. I also wrote on mine the cooking time (30 mins at 180) so I didn’t forget later on.
4. Put your pasta onto boil. You do not want to boil it completely, do about 2/3 of the time proposed on the packet and drain.
5. Add your pasta to your tomato sauce. It needs to be quite saucy so don’t be afraid to add a little water if you need to. Mix well and spoon the mixture evenly into your containers. Allow to cool before adding cheese and freezing.
6. When it comes to eating them, simply remove as frozen from the fridge, remove the lid and bake for 30-35 minutes at 180. I recommend checking with a knife that it’s piping hot throughout before eating.